Check-in September 26, 2025; 8:00 UTC

Current Position: 14 51.229’S 87 21.206’E; Local Timezone: UTC+6.5; SOG: 6.0 kt; COG: 256; TWS: 23 kt; TWD: 117; Distance to Waypoint (Rodrigues, 261): 1399 nm; Total Miles Sailed: 12195 nm; Engine Hours: 256; Estimate Fuel: 56+12+50;
Comments: I downloaded a new GRIB at 15:00. No real surprises 20 with 25 gusts for the foreseeable future. It is 16:30 and for the first time in 24h the cockpit was sort of dry enough to sit in it, so I went out to enjoy my dinner. I was putting the first bite in my mouth when I noticed the shackle that connects the tack pendant of the Yankee to the furler drum had broken free. Apparently the seized pin had come out of the shackle. With no way to furl the jib, I had to go out to the bow pulpit in heavy seas and under full sail to lash the pendent to the drum. All I had handy that would fit was some paracord. Fortunately it probably only needs to work once or twice since the jib will likely be deployed for the remainder of the passage. If that does not hold, I can run some stainless wire through it. I also noticed the furler line is become worn in a few places. Fortunately, I bought a replacement in Darwin. I will also replace that in Rodrigues. It is almost 3:00 and I have been sleeping soundly for 90m periods since 19:00. I went into the cockpit for the first time tonight and saw some stars. The weather may be finally clearing. I woke up a bit before 5:00. Sunrise is at 5:49 in the Cocos (96e) and I estimate it will be 36m later at 88e, so 6:25. The wind is blowing 22 from 110, which I believe it has done all night. Once again the forecast was wrong about the wind backing to 90. AIS data shows the three boats I started with were all pushed S of me overnight. The two larger boats are about 40 nm ahead and Mike remains 15. The latest GRIB shows more of the same, 19/24 and again predicts the wind should be blowing from 90 instead of 110. As I move E from the Cocos to Rodrigues, the time zone will shift from UTC+6.5 to UTC+4. I am currently in UTC+6 and will be in 5 in a couple of days. But, I will not switch the time on the log entry until I am completely in UTC+4. It is 6:45 and I am enjoying my tea in the cockpit for the first time in several days. It is partly cloudy and no rain clouds are visible. The sun is just beginning to rise above the clouds in the horizon. It is the first time I have seen it in days. The wind is now at 107 and the angle of the swells is beginning to cause slatting of the sails, so I changed to a more southerly course. Rodrigues is 260, due E, and I am now headed 245. Less of a run and more of a broad reach, I picked up some speed from 5.5 to 6. After breakfast I am going forward to check the rigging. Well, the good news is the nuts, bolts and screws on the gooseneck seem secure and I found a bolt that will fit the shackle that connects the jib pendant to the roller furler (which is good because the cord I used to secure it last night had already chaffed practically through). The bad news is the furler line is even more badly chaffed than it was yesterday. The core of the line had been exposed, and that will not last long. I have no choice but to replace the line now, before the high winds show up at the beginning of the week. I have unfurled/furled the line by hand at sea before, when knots have developed around the drum. It is not an easy task. Each wrap has to be taken off/put on the drum by hand when a sail is flying on the furler. It is difficult to do in calm sea, which I do not have. I will start by taking off the old line so I can mark how much I need to furl with the new line. I also need to whip the ends of the new Dyneema line. There is a period on Sunday morning when the wind is supposed to be a little lighter, but the 30-35 kt winds come Monday, so I don’t think I want to wait that long in case I run into some difficulties. On one hand, I am glad I had the foresight to purchase new line in Darwin. On the other hand, I am kicking myself for not replacing the line while at anchor. I fixed the shackle then crossed my fingers and furled the sail using the threadbare line. Fortunately, it did not break and I was able to install the new line relatively easily. I did get very soaked as the waves were coming over the bowsprit.The entire operation took about an hour and running between the cockpit and the bowsprit a half dozen times. By 9:30 I was underway. There was even a little sun when I was finished. I celebrated by eating my last tangerine. I had to go forward again at 10:30 to replace a chaffed line on the sail pack. A ship 37 nm away appeared at 12:30 to my NE. It should catch up to me about 14:30.it is 13:00 and the waves have become very short, steep, and tall. The tanker is going to pass 12 nm N of me in about 40m. The distance sailed towards Rodrigues in the last 24h was 1530-1399=131 nm. The total distance sailed was 12195-12058=137 nm (137/24=5.70 kt avg.). Note for about an hour I was actually going in the wrong direction as I worked on the roller furler.