Check-in March 25 2025; 18:25 (Local)

Current Position: 22 19.945’N 110 04.210’W; Course: 195; SOG: 6.8; BSPD: 7.9; TWS: 19 kt; TWD: 316; TWA: 130; Distance to waypoint (Isla San Benedicto): 185;
Comments: Because no wind was expected until the afternoon, I took the dinghy into Cabo for breakfast. On my way back, about 10:00, it was clear the wind was picking up. I finished readying the boat and weighed anchor at 12:30. Once I cleared the boats in the harbor, I raised the main with one reef and unfurled the Yankee about 90% in 20 kt winds to the beam. The seas were confused until I was out of the shadow of the cape, then they settled down and sailing conditions were nearly perfect. The waves were perhaps 6’, but the intervals were long enough that the ride was not too uncomfortable. As dusk approached, it became cloudy/foggy. I turned the radar to check for precipitation, but found none. In the first six hours, I travelled 36 nm to the waypoint (averaging about 6 kt). I decided to rest inside the cabin. I set alarms for winds over 30 kt and changes in wind direction more than 20 degrees. I plan to set an alarm every hour to check the instruments and the AIS. If there is a vessel closer than one hour, I do not plan to rest until it has passed.

Check-in March 24 2025; 18:38 (Local)

Current Position: 22 53.385’N 109 53.877’W (Cabo San Lucas); Course: At anchor; SOG: N/A; BSPD: N/A; TWS: Variable; TWD: N/A; TWA: N/A; Distance to waypoint: N/A;
Comments: I took the dinghy into Cabo today to do some shopping and offload trash. I have been studying the wind around Cabo and it looks like the best time to leave for San Benedicto is in the evening, especially if I want to sail out of here. I am tentatively planning to depart tomorrow at 4. If I wait until Wednesday, weather forecasts suggests the waves will result in excessive rolling.
Sent from my iPhone

Check-in March 23 2025; 17:25 (Local)

Current Position: 22 53.385’N 109 53.877’W (Cabo San Lucas); Course: At anchor; SOG: N/A; BSPD: N/A; TWS: 6.1 kt; TWD: 95; TWA: N/A; Distance to waypoint: N/A;
Comments: I intended to prepare the boat today for the passage to San Benedicto, planning to leave in the morning. I wanted to make some water, but was concerned with the lingering effects of the red tide from yesterday. Since I cannot do what I planned (make water, change the prop pitch, clean the hull, etc.), I weighed anchor at 8:30 and made my way to Cabo San Lucas, about 45 nm away with 6 kt winds from the NNE. I motor sailed until about 11, when the wind picked up to 12-13 kt. I was averaging about 3 kt running. It was partly cloudy so the solar efficiency was not great, but enough that I could make water. I was in the middle of a gib, resetting the preventer, when I got a strike on the fishing pole. It took most of the line out before I could get to the pole. When I set the drag, whatever was on there flipped itself off. As predicted, as I approached Peurto Los Cabos, about 19 miles from Cabo San Lucas, the wind disappeared. I stowed the sails and motored in the rest of the way. About 4 nm from Cabo, I saw a pod of whales. They looked like they might criss my path, so I slowed down, but they were swimming parallel to the boat. I arrived in Cabo San Lucas about 17:00, after dodging several dozen jet skis.
Sent from my iPhone

Check-in March 22 2025; 18:21 (Local)

Current Position: 23 22.843’N 109 25.203’W (Los Frailes ); Course: At anchor; SOG: N/A; BSPD: N/A; TWS: light and variable; TWD: N/A; TWA: N/A; Distance to waypoint: N/A;
Comments: I was awaken at daybreak by two large sea lions who came to visit. After doing my chores (changing the ATF, and washing the deck, etc.), I went on a 3h hike, climbing the hill that overlooks the anchorage. It was a brutal hike that involved bushwhacking through manzanita. I was looking forward to taking a dip in the water when so returned, but to my surprise, red tide had rolled in while I was away. This put a damper on my plans to make water and dive tomorrow (to clean the hull and change the pitch of the prop.
Sent from my iPhone

Check-in March 21, 2025; 18:21 (Local)

Current Position: 23 22.843’N 109 25.203’W (Los Frailes ); Course: At anchor; SOG: N/A; BSPD: N/A; TWS: 6.2 kn; TWD: 306 degree; TWA: N/A; Distance to waypoint: N/A;
Comments: My first full day at anchor at Los Frailes was spent doing chores. I woke up to put some eye splices into some general-purpose lines (sheets for the asymm, rear control line for the whisker pole, etc.). I went in to change the fuel filter and clean the bowl of the Racor fuel/water separator. Some water and gunk got sucked up from the main tank when I pulled the second filter a few days ago. I put fluids on the new Yamaha F6 outboard. Finally, I made three gallons of water and prepared a some meals for my upcoming passage. I notice there is some water leaking from the watermaker pump. It needs to be serviced, but I won’t do that until I reach the South Pacific.
Sent from my iPhone

Check-in March 20, 2025; 15:55 (Local)

Current Position: 23 28.810’N 109 24.407’W ‘; Course: 152; SOG: N/A; BSPD: 4.2; TWS: 12.6 kn; TWD: 335 degree; TWA: 177; Distance to waypoint (Los Frailes): 5.8 nm;
Comments: I replumbed the fuel system four times in the last 24h. The original objective was to eliminate the fuel foaming problem in the day tank and introduce the ability to switch between the day tank and the main tank. Bottom line is the engine fuel pump was not powerful enough to draw from the main tank through the fuel polishing system and apparently not powerful enough to draw fuel from the top of the day tank through the siphon tube, probably because the day tank is higher than the fuel pump I ended up removing the large secondary from the fuel polishing system. I learned the filter was fouled (even though the pressure gauge suggested fuel was flowing freely. I also moved the fuel intake line back to the bottom of the day tank. Finally, about 9:30, I was able to weigh anchor and head for Los Frailes. Seas offshore were confused, probably because of the island. Wind was from the NW at 25 kt. There were wind-driven waves from the NW, but the main swells came from the N at 6’. I did 6-7 kt SOG with just the Yankee jib. Once offshore, I switch from the Tillerpilot to the wind vane. I so much prefer the relative quiet of the wind vane. I am just rounding Cabo Pulmo. Winds and seas have died down. Witt winds of 22-30 kn today, I average 6.2 kn running with just the Yankee flying. Looks like I will have very light winds here for the next week. Will have to decide if I am motoring out of here or drifting slowly.
Sent from my iPhone

Check-in March 18, 2025; 17:09 (Local)

Current Position: 24 3.582’N 109 47.467’W (Ensenada de Los Muertos); Course: At anchor; SOG: N/A; BSPD: N/A; TWS: 12.0 kn; TWD: 355 degree; TWA: N/A; Distance to waypoint: N/A;
Comments: The bay I am anchored in is teeming with life. There is a huge school of fish around the boat, jellyfish are floating everywhere, there is some sort of battle taking place a 100 yards away, and I just saw a half dozen rays fly. It has been a busy day. Woke up and got my morning exercise putting and eye splice in the line I use as a preventer (to prevent accidental gibes). Replumbed the fuel system to deal with the foaming/air problem in sporty seas (and added the ability to switch between the main and day tank with a couple of valves, reinforced a couple of stanchions that support the dive platform on the port side, and cleaned up after the bird party last night. The winds have been warm and southerly, but as PredictWind predicted, they shifted to the north about 16:00, and the wind picked up. The boat pivoted on the anchor 180 degrees in about 10 minutes.
Sent from my iPhone

Check-in March 17, 2025; 18:26 (Local)

Current Position: 24 3.582’N 109 47.467’W (Ensenada de Los Muertos); Course: At anchor; SOG: N/A; BSPD: N/A; TWS: 28.0 kn; TWD: 305 degree; TWA: N/A; Distance to waypoint: N/A;
Comments: The wind backed to the south today and brought warm air. I did some domestic chores (made water, did the laundry, washed the boat and myself) and I did some projects on the boat (installed a small 300W inverter on the starter battery bank for charging my laptop and in case of emergencies if my house bank goes down, made a plan to replumb my day tank to fix the problem with air in the line, deflated all my fenders for storage, and broke out my Kindle for the first time to load a bunch of books). I also made a grand punch list of things I need to do at anchor in the next couple of days. Lots to keep me busy.
Sent from my iPhone

Check-in March 16, 2025; 17:20 (Local)

Current Position: 24 3.582’N 109 47.467’W; Course: 133 degrees; SOG: 7.0 kn; BSPD: 8.0 kn; TWS: 28.0 kn; TWD: 305 degree; TWA: 180 degrees; Distance to waypoint (Los de Los Meurtos): 123 nm
Comments: I slept 11 hours and woke at anchor to 25 kn winds from the NW. The stern of the mega yacht Northern Star was dangerously close to me, apparently because it had dragged anchor overnight. I tried to hail on 16 but got no answer. I finally flagged down one of the crew and signaled he need to move the boat forward to give me room to maneuver from a tight spot, pinned between him and a breakwater. They did move the boat and I was able to weigh anchor and turn my boat around. It was 65 nm to the next anchorage, and I got a late start. Once at sea, I found 30 kn winds and steep seas. I deployed half of my Yankee jib, which propelled me downwind at 6 kn. After I had cleared Isla San Francisco/Canal de Dan Jose, the wind backed to the N. See conditions were confused with wind-driven waves from the NW and surge from the N, causing the boat to corkscrew badly. More significantly, the angle was bad to clear Isla la Partida to get into the Cerralvo Channel. I decided to take it on the chin and head SE to get a better angle on the Channel. This meant taking 6’ waves to the port stern quarter. I fired up the engine to minimize the time to the Channel (and my pain). The boat rolled badly 30 degrees. At one point the engine stopped because the sloshing of fuel in the day tank was foaming the fuel and letting air in the line. I kept the engine off long enough to pump more fuel in the tank, then the engine ran fine. During the ordeal, I learned how quickly the scuppers in the cockpit empty the cockpit of water. As I approached the Channel, the seas settled down a bit. No longer confused, I just needed to deal with 6’ waves to the quarter, some breaking due to the wind. The Channel was uneventful, but as I expected, the big waves were back after I turned Punta Arena de la Ventana. Fortunately, it was a short distance to where I am now, Punta Perico, and when I turn it, I will be protected from the waves and wind. Ensenada de Los Muertos will be only two nm away. I should reach it just as it gets dark.
Sent from my iPhone

Check-in March 15, 2025; 15:58 (Local)

Current Position: 24 49.057’N 110 34.128’W; Course: At anchor on the north side of Isla San Francisco; SOG: N/A; BSPD: N/A; TWS: 8.9 kn; TWD: 48 degree; TWA: N/A;
Comments: Strange combination of wind and waves last night made it difficult to use the wind vane. And, even the tiller pilot had difficulties … the off-course alarm went off all night. Eventually, I found it most effective to oppose the jib and main and just run. I set one hour alarms, went to bed at dusk, and did not get up until 4:30 to find winds light and the sea unusually calm. I took advantage by driving from the middle of the sea towards shore, thinking that would by hard later in the morning when the wind/waves pick up … and I would need to gib later to get around Isla Cerralvo. With 9 kn winds from the NW, I was only doing 3 kn with 75 to go. By dawn there was almost no wind. Furthermore, the forecast looks like no wind until Wednesday. I bailed and when to Isla San Francisco (25 miles away) where I arrived about 11:30. The north bay was packed with super yachts. With relatively clean seawater available, I tested the watermaker for the first time, producing three gallons of water with 420 ppm DSM, acceptable for drinking. I celebrated by taking a fresh water shower and rinsing the dishes I had previously washed in salt water. The “propane leak” that set off my detector was actually some solvent. I spent the rest of the afternoon cooking and setting up an iPad with some apps in case I drop my iPhone overboard. I had to do that while I still had Starlink. In contrast to today, the wind will be screaming tomorrow. I will probably take advantage of it to drop down to Ensenada de Los Muertos, the place last year where my engine seized up, and a better jumping off point for the Pacific. There will be zero wind Monday and Tuesday, but Wednesday/Thursday looks good for San Benedicto.