Check-in September 23, 2025; 8:00 UTC

Current Position: 12 46.694’S 93 54.070’E; Local Timezone: UTC+6.5; SOG: 5.9 kt; COG: 254; TWS: 19 kt; TWD: 126; Distance to Waypoint (Rodrigues, 256): 1801 nm; Total Miles Sailed: 11772 nm; Engine Hours: 253; Estimate Fuel: 56+14+50;
Comments: Sunset was approximately 18:00. At 18:30 the cargo ship Rosebank hailed Sipi as it was about to pass through the cluster of four sailboats that left the Cocos this morning. It appears it will pass 1-3 nm in front of me about 20:00. The ship has changed its course and it appears it will split the cluster of four sailboats into two pairs. About 22:00, halfway through my second one-hour-interval timer, I was awaken by a strange flapping noise. The windvane airfoil had come out of its bracket and was flapping in the wind by its security string, leaving the boat unpiloted, rounded up, and heading straight for White Malkin 2.5 nm S of me. I quickly donned my helmet/headlamp and harness and climbed on the back of the boat to reattach the windvane. There are two hand-tightened knobs that hold the windvane on, and their threads seemed to be corroded, making it difficult to tighten them further. I am currently flying the larger airfoil and in this wind I should be using the smaller one. I spayed some penetrating oil on the threads . When it is light, I will put the TillerPilot on and try to swap the airfoils. I checked the trace and I must have woken up instantly when the flapping began. Sunrise is at 5:51 in the Cocos and I am about 2 degrees W, so sunrise here should be about 5:59. I didn’t see the sun because of clouds on the horizon, but that looks about right. Overnight, the wind dropped from 20/25 to 18/22 and backed from 140 to 120. All four sailboats are within 10 nm of each other. The other three are beginning to head S to continue a beam reach. I am trying to stay in the rhumb line to take the most advantage of the current, but also enjoy a more comfortable ride with respect to the heeling and following seas. There are no threatening clouds, so I let out the rest of the Yankee and trimmed the sails, but my average speed has still fallen from 6.5 to 6.2. I heard a noise last night that sounded like a fish on the deck. I went out to save it, but didn’t see anything. I found it this morning in the bucket I keep in the cockpit. I downloaded fresh GRIB/AIS data about 18:00. No big surprises. I am no longer in and areas that have thunderstorm warnings. The sky is clear except in the horizons. PW wants me to head further S, but it looks like I will have better wind a few days from now if I stick to the rhumb line. There is some commercial traffic and I should see a few ships, but should not have to be concerned about anything for the next 24h. The two 42/43’ boats with two crew are starting to pull away from the two 36/38’ boats that are being single-handed. But, Sipi (a modern 43’ ketch) is still only 11 nm ahead and she left 90m before me, so I must be make about the same speed. When/if the winds lighten up I expect all three boats will move well ahead of me. I am glad we are spread out a bit now so there is less chance of an incident, especially when I am sleeping. My recollection is we are all headed for Rodrigues. I have injured a toe on my left foot. In the light of day I can see it is all black and blue. It is not broken or particularly painful and the skin is not broken, so I am sure it will be fine. It is 19:00 and it suddenly got quiet. I looked over and the wind was only blowing 15 and the boat was sound 5. The forecast is for the winds to drop to 13-18 for the next 36h. This will be the lightest winds for the next week. I expect my average boat speed for the next 36h will be 5.5. It is 9:00, 24h since leaving the Cocos, and I gave made 150 nm (6.25 kt avg.). A ship passed 8 nm in front of me at 10:20. The distance sailed towards Rodrigues in the last 24h was 1944-1801=143 nm. The total distance sailed was 11772-11617=155 nm (155/24=6.46 kt avg.).