Check-in July 15, 2025; 5:00 UTC

Current Position: 11 36.304’S 148 37.304’E; Local Timezone: UTC+20 SOG: 5.1 kt COG: 250; TWS: 18 kt; TWD: 107; Distance to Waypoint (R1, Raine Passage, 263): 267; Total Miles Sailed: 8383 nm; Engine Hours: 177 Estimate Fuel: 55+12+50
Comments: I downloaded a new GRIB and weather plan at 19:00. The forecast now is for strong wind the rest of the week. However, the recommended course is a jibe at midnight all the way to the P/NG mainland followed by a straight line to R1. This path follows more wing and favorably uses/avoids the currents. It adds 45 nm to the distance. I went to sleep right after dusk, tired from last night’s activities. At 21:00, after a 2h alarm, I found the wind had shifted to 115 (from 148), so I adjusted the windvane to head 260 and set a 1h alarm. It is midnight and I have averaged 6.7 kt since the check-in, added in part by a favorable current and relatively smooth seas. However, that favorable current is about to change for 150 nm while I have a cross-current. I expect to drift S for the next 75 nm stretch, then N for second 75 stretch. I don’t intend to fight it but rather go for maximum speed. At 1:00 I downloaded a new GRIB. For the first time the weather plan does not have me jibing N but in fact follows the plan I just laid out, aided by a jibe in the middle when the currents shift from S to N. About 2:00 the wind has backed to 115 and the current has begun swinging around to the starboard beam. The boat began rolling much more. The swell isn’t bigger. I think it has something to do with the current which once combined with W- and E-bound currents N of me, vortexes S. I hope to be through this early afternoon. Rala, the boat that crossed paths with me a few days ago, took a northerly route around Tagula and is now 40 nm N of me and about 1.5d from Port Moresby (P/NG). They’re only moving at 3 kt. They probably figured they’re not getting there today and have slowed their roll so as no not arrive at night. I may need to do the same thing tomorrow. Sunrise is was about 6:20. The seas are very confused … hence the roll. The weather is the same as it has been for days, partly cloudy with darker clouds on the horizon. I need to cook today but the seas will make that difficult. It’s a good day for the pressure cooker. I have half a bag of split peas, small can of smoked ham, can of carrots, and an onion to make split pea soup. Lots of seabirds this morning …. perhaps not surprising as I am only 60 nm from the coast of P/NG. With sunrise the wind has veered a bit to 120-125, giving me a better TWA of 150 and an average speed of 5.8 kt, helped in part by a 1 kt current off the starboard quarter. The veering wind also seemed to help with the chop and rolling. With 310 nm to R1, I will need to average at least 5.2 kt in the next 60h to get there before dusk. The latest forecast suggests I can do it. It is 8:00 and the 1.2 kt current is now perpendicular to the starboard side of the boat. It has proven to be possible to maintain the course towards R1, primarily because the wind veered to 125. By 9:30 the boat speed had fallen to 5.2, largely because I was more than half way across the current vortex and current was now against me. The short, win-driven chop had been replaced by deep, well-spaced swell, and the ride was much better. It is almost noon and the sky looks clear upwind for a change. Unfortunately, the wind backed to 105 and the wind died down in the afternoon. I could not maintain a course towards R1. However, on a positive note, the current began to contribute to the SOG after 14:00. The distance sailed towards R1 in the last 24h was 408-267=141 nm. The total distance sailed was 8383-8235=148 nm (148/24=6.1 kt avg.). While the progress the last 24h has been solid, this afternoon has been disappointing, both in terms of course and speed. Unless I make at least 135 nm in the next 24h, it is unlikely that I will reach R1 in time to anchor before dark. I will make a decision tomorrow whether to try for it or back off and plan on reaching R1 Friday morning. If the latter, I will not anchor at the Great Detached Reef but rather press on another 25 nm to Pearson’s Reef. From there, I would likely go to Shives Reef on Saturday, Wyborn Reef or York Island on Sunday, then arrive at Thursday Island Monday morning.