Check-in April 6, 2025; 16:38 (Local)

Current Position: 8 44.205’N 127 57.310’W; Course: 195; SOG: 6.0 kt; TWS: 18.8 kt; TWD: 050; TWA: 138; Distance to Waypoint (Hiva Oa): 1294 nm; Total Miles Sailed: 2012 nm;
Comments: I left the sails as they were (most of the Yankee and one reef in the main) overnight because the wind/waves were supposed to be similar overnight as they were in the afternoon. But, I had second thoughts as the waves built a bit and there were a few gusts that gave the TillerPilot a fit. Rather than trying to put another reef in the main on a pitching deck, I decided to let it play out, figuring I could mistrim the sails if I had to. It turned out it was fine and the night was uneventful. I set the usual two hour alarms (rather than one hour intervals when I have shipping traffic or unstable weather). Between the 5:00 alarm and 7:00 when I woke up, the wind backed to the north 10 degrees (has been backing to the north in the morning and veering to the east in the evening), so sailing efficiency was reduced. I changed the course to 180 from 185 and corrected. There are more clouds today than yesterday, but it should still be a good day for solar. Waves seem to be in a shorter interval, but the seas are relatively calm. I have been following the ECMWF weather model, which I have found to be most accurate offshore. That model shows the wind veering to easterlies as I approach the ITCZ and has me jibing west for a day tomorrow before returning to a southerly course. Below about 3 degrees north, the course would be essentially straight at the Marquesas (about 204). However, I have found the weather in the ITCZ to be very unstable, so I expect the plan will change a half dozen times. My 9:00 check showed I made (1478-1343) 132 nm on in the last 24h, about the same as yesterday. About 10:00, stronger 26-28 kt gusts developed with 20 kt continuous wind. The gusts caused the boat to round up. While the course was set for 185, it the gusts exceeded 165, the boat would gain speed to 7.5 kt and lock into a beam reach. The TillerPilot did not have the physical range or strength to bring the boat back to course. It helped to change the course closer to a run, but the headsail would flag with the waves and I ran the risk of an accidental jib. Ironically, the wind vane does a better job because it has more of a range, and it had no problem keeping the boat on course during the strong gusts. But, I could see the port control line was only hanging on by a few core strands. Turns out, there was enough of the 1/4” Spectra line that I could cut away the frayed part. Unfortunately, the frayed part was on the end near the servo rudder. I contemplated stopping the boat to work on the wind vane, then decided it would be better to have it under control while sailing. The control line was held in place by a simple stopper/slip knot, so I tied myself off the back of the boat so I could get hold of the line and pull enough through to cut off the offending part. It was actually easier than it sounds and probably took ten minutes. The wind vane is good as new. Next chance I get, I buying 50’ of 1/4” Spectra because I don’t have any onboard. The ocean became angry in the early afternoon. I fixed half the fish I caught yesterday, but it was a challenge to cook. Also, it is becoming warm in the cabin during the day because I am approaching the equator, and cooking just makes warmer. I prefer to sit in the cockpit, even if it means getting splashed from time to time. By mid-afternoon, the seas had calmed down, but clouds had moved in. The winds are becoming more easterly as I go south.
Sent from my iPhone